Saturday, March 8, 2014

A Little About China


We are getting closer and closer to our departure and I am getting more and more anxious.  As of today we only have 5 weeks until we leave.  My Goodness!  Time is moving So quickly! Our flights have been confirmed, paid for and we are still deep in training and learning about the China Culture.  Thought I’d share some of our training with you again as we are all on this journey together –
 
·       China is an Authoritarian Culture:  Every Chinese government since Emperor Qin conceived of its role in a very hierarchical, heavy handed, top down way. Mao’s Communist Government sought to win more favor with the peasants, but with a similar authoritarian style. The swaying between caring for the masses and controlling them is a bitter-sweet reality that the populace must, and usually does accept.
 
·       The Chinese stress conformity:  This training begins at home and is firmly established in the school system. Children are under a great cultural weight to learn what they should do.
 
·       A longing for National Restoration: The Chinese have an unusually strong racial identity “We Chinese” and commitment to the motherland drives a deep-seated desire.  Most Chinese just want their people and their country to be respected.
 
·       A Longing for improved chances and personal issues: Hard work is the norm. It is doubtful if anyone in China can make it to the top by sheer hard work and inspiration. Some are willing to take even questionable risks to not let a promising opportunity go by. Whatever they pursue, most Chinese believe they need the power that money, position or opportunity gives to finally attain peace. At the deepest level the Chinese soul, like everyone’s, longs for rest and peacefulness to quench the gnawing meaninglessness and emptiness of the material world.
 
I find it interesting and quite fascinating how diverse and yet how similar we all are. We all have the same wishes for peace and quietness in our souls; a longing to belong to something bigger than ourselves, and a deep desire to connect with one another.  I love the way the Message Bible reads John 15:13-15 “I’ve told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature. This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you. This is the very best way to love. Put your life on the line for your friends. You are my friends when you do the things I command you. I’m no longer calling you servants because servants don’t understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I’ve named you friends because I’ve let you in on everything I’ve heard from the Father.” 
 
Karlene Campbell for the Team
 

No comments:

Post a Comment